Friday, March 04, 2005

Comments by Hgstern and Chargemaster Regarding the Public Register of Physician-Drug Company Transactions

I agree with both of you on the importance of empowering patients with information. The question I have is whether all information is beneficial. To me, the information detailed in this public register doesn't seem helpful and in fact may cause confusion and mistrust out of proportion to its benefits.

I would like to know if my doctor gets sued a lot or lost his or her license or hospital privileges anywhere. I would like to know the quality of his or her education. I would like to be able to assess his or her medical recommendations through independent sources. These are the types of information that I think are useful.

I also agree that information regarding the cost of medical procedures or interventions can be very helpful to patients making decisions regarding their healthcare.

I just don't think that all information is equally helpful especially when there are potential downsides associated with its availablity that exceeds its utility.

1 Comments:

Blogger Henry Stern, LUTCF, CBC said...

Well, I'm pleased that you agree with me (us) ;-))

I'm unclear, tho, what you mean when you say

I just don't think that all information is equally helpful especially when there are potential downsides associated with its availablity that exceeds its utility.I agree that there are usually downsides to a given procedure, but wouldn't those be noted when one is doing the research?

March 04, 2005 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home