Friday, April 28, 2006

To be filed under "Patient Avoidance Aids"

Here's something to take the guesswork out of child psychology. It seems that some researchers have determined that the level of alpha amylase, an enzyme found in saliva, correlates with children's behavioral problems, abilities to form close relationships and cognitive/academic problems. Apparently, there is a newly developed test available for making such measurements where all the child has to do is spit.

It never occurred to me that modern technology would have anything to offer in the diagnosis mental health issues. I guess that anything that eliminates the need to actually touch or (God forbid) talk to a patient apparently represents medical progress. I hope that MedGadget helps get the word out quickly.

I'm still waiting for Dr. McCoy's tricorder though. Of course I have to hope that it won't be so simple to operate that a layperson can use it. Otherwise, I'm looking at early retirement.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

 
I'm still waiting for Dr. McCoy's tricorder

You'll have a long wait: turns out, the screen is too easily read by lay-folks, so it violates HIPAA.

Who knew?!

;-)

May 01, 2006 9:24 AM  
Blogger The Medicine Man said...

Hank,

All of our computer monitors used to have filters over the screens that require you to be directly in front of them to read (otherwise all you see is black).

Surely the tricorders of toworrow will have similar devices.

The reason I said "used to have filters" is that many have been stolen. I understand they're perfect for covering automobile license plates. This cuts down on those nasty traffic-citation-o-grams when the camera can't image the license number.

Who knew?

John

May 01, 2006 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home