Wednesday, June 08, 2005

PubMed RSS Feeds

Thanks to the Clinical Cases and Images Blog for letting us know that PubMed now offers RSS feeds for searches. This blog is part of the larger Case Western Reserve housestaff blog I've mentioned in the past.

For the uninitiated, PubMed is a massive database managed by the National Library of Medicine. This is a government-run institution that runs extraordinarily well and is extremely current. Many times I've run searches and found citations for articles in the current issue of a particular journal.

PubMed is very powerful and search strategies can be as simple or as complex as you wish them to be. It's designed for medical professionals but laypeople can use PubMed as well. The results will refer to articles in the academic literature and won't give the actual text of the article only the citation. However most of the time, the article's abstract will appear. Many of these are marginably understandable to the average layperson.

The best thing about PubMed is the cost...free. How great is that?

Having the search results sent out as RSS feeds is a great convenience for anyone who is following scientific developments in a particular field. (Personally, I use bloglines.com as my news aggregator.)

Check the link above for instructions. I tried it myself and got it to work the first time which means that anyone can do it!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments.

I like Bloglines too but I use mostly Opera 8.0 because it is a combined browser/RSS reader, and I'm so used to it.

By the way, if you have a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth enabled PDA, the mobile Bloglines is a great application.

June 08, 2005 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home